Return To Soccer Guidelines
Since March 2020, Alberta Soccer has worked with our stakeholders to respond to the ever-changing environment of the COVID-19 pandemic in Alberta. Through timely communication and guidance, we continue in our commitment to a safe and compliant return to play at every stage of the response.
Before on-field soccer activities can occur anywhere in Alberta, the following conditions must be met:
- Alberta Health Services lift applicable restrictions, AND
- Municipalities / Regions lift applicable restrictions, AND
- District Members support modified season in their jurisdiction, AND
- Alberta Soccer Return to Restrictions Requirements & Best Practices Guidelines are implemented and maintained.
Alberta Soccer Return to Restrictions Requirements & Best Practices Guidelines (*subject to change – updated March 3, 2022)
This document is in effect September 16th, 2021 for under 18 years of age.
This document is in effect September 20th, 2021 at 12:01 am for 18 years of age and older.
Alberta Soccer Rules of Play Modifications – Details (effective July 1st, 2021)
Alberta Soccer Emergency Response Action Plan Guide
Canada Soccer Return to Soccer – Response Action Plan
Government of Alberta – Guidance for Sports & Physical Activity and Recreation
ASA General Rules & Regulations – Referee Distancing (Alberta Soccer Board Approved) – June 10, 2021)
Department Updates and Resources
- Alberta Soccer Offices
- Hours of Operation, Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
- All staff working remotely so email communication is recommended.
Coach Education: Online Courses Calendar
Technical Department Webinar Series Recordings
Technical Department Update – Feb 2021
Alberta Soccer Back to Play Session Plan Guidance & Templates
June 9th, 2021
Covid Protocols Video – note, you need to complete the verification quiz (module 5) in your Refcentre account in order to be placed on the eligible list.
Referee Feedback On Teams (Covid Related)
March 2nd, 2021
Our 2021 referee registration season is now open, and we would like to make your renewal process go as smoothly as possible. We realize that there is still some uncertainty about the 2021 season, and for this reason referee registration fees have been reduced by 50%. Youth referee registration(14 + 15 years) is $25 and district and higher (16+) is $32. There will be no late fee applied in the 2021 season.
If for any reason there are no games available in your part of the province for 2021, you will be eligible for a full or partial refund. Details will be sent out closer to the outdoor season.
A simple guide to the re-registration process is available here. Please take a few moments to the read the guide, so that you are aware of your requirements to be placed on the Eligible List of Officials for 2021. There are some changes to the 2021 process.
If you are renewing for 2021, welcome back, and we look forward to seeing you out on the field!
Click here for past referee program updates throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Provincial Competitions
- All 2021 Indoor Provincial Competitions have been cancelled.
- No decision has been made at this time about the 2021 Outdoor Competitions.
- 2021 Alberta Major League
- Alberta Soccer has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 AMSL season.
- 2021 Alberta Youth Soccer League
- Information coming soon
- Tournament Sanctioning
- Click here for more information on tournament sanctioning at this time.
- Alberta Health Services
- General information for Albertans, including prevention & physical distancing guidelines and mental health resources.
- Government of Alberta
- Government of Canada
- Official information from the Government of Canada on the impact of Covid-19 on health & financial matters and the available support options.
- Wellness Together Canada: Varied resources for youth and adults, to help get through this pandemic.
- Return to Soccer – Response Action Plan_EN
- Canada Soccer Return to Play Risk Assessment Tool
- Canada Soccer Nation Inside: Online programs for coaches and players
- Announcement of Suspension of all Soccer Activities (March 13th)
- FIFA #WorldCupAtHome: Re-watch classic World Cup matches
- FIFA Covid-19 Resource Center: #BeActive and #HealthyAtHome videos and information
- Active for Life
- Resources for staying active from home: activities and lesson plans for children, articles and podcast recommendations.
- Sport Law & Strategy Group