On the last weekend of February, Alberta Soccer Association celebrated its Annual General Meeting in the city of Calgary. Various topics were discussed among our Members, Board of Directors and Staff. Here is a comprehensive list of the elections and awards that were given during said time:
In this year’s election, the Membership elected a Vice President, Director of Financial Operations, Director-at-Large, and Rural Director-at-Large:
- Vice President – Maureen Keough (returning)
- Director of Financial Operations – Julie Beschell (returning)
- Director-at-large – Aurelio (JR) Figueiredo
- Rural Director-at-large – Danny Bowie
On Saturday, February 26, 2022, the Deerfoot Inn Hotel in Calgary was host to the 2022 Awards Banquet, celebrating the 2021 award winners. With the presence of Dr Nick Bontis, President of Canada Soccer, and after an entertaining keynote presentation by former FIFA referee David Gantar, it came the time to honour the best of last year. Renowned journalist Sandra Prusina accompanied us as official emcee for the evening.
The award winners list of 2021 include:
- Award of Excellence
- David Gantar
- Sheena Dickson
- Golden Shoe Award – MacEwan University Women’s Team
- Silver Badge Award – Harsimrit Lakhyan
- Golden Whistle Award – Kevin Jones
- Physical Literacy Award – Catherine Fox
- Bert Goldberger Technical Leader Award – Guillaume Dikoume
- Woman of Distinction – Jessica Whyte
- Award of Merit
- Allan Siwela
- Srdjan Gajic
- Graham Fisher
- President’s Award – Tammy Olson
Besides these awards, former Alberta Soccer collaborator John Clubb was recognized for his 10 years of service with the Association.
In addition to those awarded for their last year’s achievements, Gordon Franson became an Alberta Soccer Life Member, thanks to his long-standing contribution to our sport in Alberta.
We express our gratitude to our Members and partners for their help in making this a successful weekend.