Canada Soccer C Licence
The Canada Soccer C Licence workshop is the entry level course for the Advanced Coach Education pathway and prepares the coach to progress to the Development Stream (Children), Development Stream (Youth) or Performance Stream (Senior). The Canada Soccer C Licence involves the facilitation of learning opportunities for the coach to develop an understanding of the coaching process. Currently this workshop is being delivered online and requires that coaches reach a minimum standard of competence. Each coach will be assigned tasks to complete throughout the online workshop and will be supported by staff Coach Developers.
To be accepted into the Canada Soccer C Licence, you must be 16 years or older, a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
$495 +GST (course fee only)
The content of the Canada Soccer C Licence will be delivered live online by our Technical Director, Jason Blake, and the Alberta Soccer Coach Developer Team. The workshop will be 16 hours long run in two hour segments over several days. Workshop tasks (assignments, session planning, check for understanding etc.) will be housed within a Google Classroom set up specifically for the workshop. Workshop registrants will receive an email a few days in advance of the workshop start date providing the Google Class code.
The Canada Soccer C Licence content involves theoretical and practical components focusing on holistic, effective coaching. The workshop covers content including:
- Vision, Mission, Values;
- Understanding the Person, the Practice & the Play;
- Mental Health and wellbeing in coaching;
- Safe Sport;
- The Coaching Process;
- Designing and delivering a training session;
- Introduction to the Principles of Play;
- Developing the individual player;
- Introduction to presentation skills;
- Introduction to the use of technology in coaching.
Coaches who complete the Canada Soccer C Licence Workshop will be designated as “In-Training”. To become “Trained” coaches will need to complete
1. Make Ethical Decisions 2. Respect In Sport Activity Leader 3. Making Headway in Soccer 4. Emergency Action Plan
Coaches who successfully complete the training requirements are eligible to progress to the evaluation process if they choose. Coaches must have completed the following to be eligible for register for the C Licence Evaluation:
- C Licence Workshop
- NCCP Make Ethical Decisions | CAC (coach.ca) online evaluation
- Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders
- NCCP Emergency Action Plan | CAC (coach.ca)
- Making Head Way Concussion eLearning Series | Coach
- Safe Sport Training
Coaches who complete all training requirements and pass the evaluation achieve Canada Soccer C Licence Certified. Evaluation is based upon:
- Practice Session via video submission
- Laws of the Game Exam (if not already completed within the workshop)
Candidates receive their results electronically. Unsuccessful candidates may apply for re-evaluation twice and full evaluation fees will apply on their second re-evaluation (if necessary).
$250 + GST (evaluation fee only) payable upon registration
- Each evaluation Phase is 3 months long however amount of time available is dependent on when the candidate registers within the block. The candidate must be able to submit a session plan, carry out a pre-brief with an evaluator, record their session, sync the audio and video, submit the session and schedule a de-brief within the 3 month phase. If the candidate is not confident, they can carry this out within the 3 month period, they are asked to register for a later block that will allow them to complete in this time frame.
- On the first day of the evaluation block, (or within 3 business days of registration) the candidate will receive an email from the Alberta Soccer Coach Education Department introducing them to their Alberta Soccer Coach Evaluator. This email also details the topic for the evaluation as well as the video submission guidelines/process.
- The candidate must send their full session plan (Whole – Part – Whole) and EAP directly to their coach evaluator by email.
- Once the evaluator has received the session plan, the evaluator will contact the candidate and arrange a ‘pre-brief’ with the candidate. The pre-brief will be carried out either via a video call or phone call at an agreed time between the candidate and evaluator. Once the pre-brief has taken place, the candidate will be given the go-ahead to record their session. Coaches must ensure they are given written consent to video tape players for the purpose of their evaluation.
- Once the candidates have recorded their session and checked it for audio and video quality, the candidate will email their video, final session plan & EAP directly to their assigned coach developer.
- On receiving the email, the evaluator will acknowledge receipt of the required material, and will schedule a de-brief with the candidate. Again, this can be done via video phone or phone call. During the de-brief the candidate will learn of their next steps and discuss their action plan.
- The evaluator will email the completed observation of competency forms and action plan to the candidate and Alberta Soccer.
- If successful, Alberta Soccer will do all the necessary checks and the update the CAC Locker (C Licence only) and Canada Soccer. The candidate will then receive their Certificate directly from Canada Soccer.
Re-Testing Canada Soccer C Licence Components
After initial evaluation, coaches who require it may re-test twice. Candidates re-test only individual evaluation components they did not pass. If after two re-testing attempts a passing score has not been achieved, candidates must re-enter the program and repeat the C License course before attempting the evaluation process again. Full program fees will apply on the second set of re-tests should they be necessary.
$150 + GST
- Practical Exam: $75 +GST
- Laws of the Game: $25 +GST
- Coaching Theory Exam: $25 +GST
- Plan a Session Exam: $25 +GST
This is a non-residential program with travel and accommodation being the responsibility of the candidate.
Candidates receive their results electronically.
How do I start the Evaluation Process?
To start the evaluation process the coach applies by registering for an Alberta Soccer Coach Evaluation Phase in the Locker through the Coaches Association of Canada. Pre-Requisite: Canada Soccer C Licence Trained designation
Each evaluation Phase is 3 months long and the candidate must be able to submit a session plan, attend pre-brief with an evaluator, submit the final session plan and schedule a live presentation time / de-brief within this time frame. If the candidate is not confident they can carry this out within the 3 month period, they are asked to register for a later block that will allow them to complete in this time frame.
On the first day of the evaluation block (or upon registration), the candidate will receive an email from the Alberta Soccer Coach Education Department within 3 business days. This email will detail the evaluation outline as well as the session submission and video guidelines/process.
What do I need to Submit for the Evaluation Process?
The candidate will submit the following to their assigned Coach Evaluator via email:
- Session Plan & Emergency Action Plan (EAP) to their assigned Coach Evaluator via One Drive folder provided by Coach Evaluator
What are the Next Steps?
- A pre-brief will be set up with Coach Evaluator in which session plan and EAP will be reviewed. Once given the go ahead by their Coach Evaluator the candidate can then video tape their session.
- Once video session has been recorded the candidate will submit it to their assigned Coach Evaluator. Their Coach Evaluator will then set up a debrief meeting and review candidates action plan.
- If successful, Alberta Soccer will do all the necessary checks and update the CAC Locker (C Licence only) and Canada Soccer. The candidate will then receive credit in their NCCP transcript and a certificate directly from Canada Soccer.
2022/23 Course Dates
(updated Mar 8th, 2023)
CALGARY C License Workshop
Saturday April 15th
Sunday April 16th
Saturday April 22nd
Sunday April 23rd
Location: Calgary Foothills Field House
To register for the Calgary C License Workshop, please click this registration link: https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/8625
EDMONTON C License Workshop
Saturday April 29th
Sunday April 30th
Saturday May 6th
Sunday May 7th
Location: Edmonton Scottish Dome
To register for the Edmonton C License Workshop, please click this registration link: https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/8629
- Phase 4 Evaluation (Aug 1 to October 31st, 2022) Registration Closed Oct 5th.
- Phase 1 Evaluation (Nov 1 to Jan 31st, 2023) Registration Closed Jan 6th.
- Phase 2 Evaluation (Feb 1 to April 30th, 2023) Registration Opens Jan 28th, 2023. CLICK HERE to register.
- Phase 3 Evaluation (May 1 to July 31st, 2023) Registration Opens April 28th, 2023.
Each evaluation Phase is 3 months long. If the candidate is not confident they can carry this out within the 3-month period, they are asked to register for a later phase that will allow them to complete it in this time frame.
For Evaluation Inquiries please email the Coach Education Department