Day 3 Recap:
- The South U13 Boys showed great heart and determination against a bigger and mostly older Manitoba side. Although completing several passing combinations and creating a few chances, they found themselves 3-0 down at the break. The second half was a different story as the boys showed a great reaction to a difficult 1st half with the match finishing 5-3.
- The South U14 Boys earned themselves a 1-1 draw against a well-organized BC team who came out very strong in the first half with wave after wave of pressure. Due to a commitment to defending in numbers, Alberta managed to keep the score to 1-0 at half time. In a rainy second half, Alberta changed the game around creating multiple chances and ultimately themselves a penalty which was smoothly slotted into the bottom corner from Soloman Aria. A fair result for all involved.
- The U13 Boys North just fell short against a strong BC side 3-2. The boys continued to show improvement in their possession game and collective defending. The are excited to head into their final match against their provincial team-mates from the south and anticipate a competitive match.
- It was another strong performance by the U14 Boys North, this time against the Nova Scotia Whitecaps Academy. Set the tone early in the match and were quickly up a few goals. At times they conceded possession cheaply, trying to play quick 1-2 touch soccer but their intention was always positive. This game was dominated by the U14 Boys North in all phases. There were some nice sequences of play which ultimately resulted in a 6-1 score line. The highlight of the match was the strong sportsmanship and class shown by the group to their opponents. Next up, U14 Boys South…Battle of Alberta!!
- Today the U13 South girls rocked and put in a class display against their adversaries from Edmonton. The moment that spilt the outcome between the two was a decisive free kick. The difference in teams, in terms of size, was balanced by the heart and endeavour of this group of young girls, drawing strong praise from the opposition coach and Whitecaps scout. A great performance by all.
- In a game of two different halves, the U13 Girls North narrowly beat the U13 Girls South by a score of 1-0. The north team dominated the first half and scored off a free kick from 25 yards. The south team dominated possession in the second half and it took very strong team defending by the north to limit the south’s chances and keep them off the scoreboard. It was a great game against provincial team-mates.
- The U14 South Girls played really well in their second match of the week versus a well-organized and competitive BC side. The girls pressed all over the field and gave BC no space to play. They jumped into the lead 2-0 having controlled the majority of the possession in the game. BC would not be deterred and through the application of great pressure were able to storm back to tie the game at twos. The U14s would not be denied and following a great finish were able to walk off the pitch with a 3-2 victory.
- The U14 Girls North lost a hard-fought battle to a quality Soccer Nova Scotia side 2-0. The girls showed a significant improvement from their first match, were connecting well with each other and competing all over the field. In a game that could have gone either way, it was decided by two cagey finishes from SNS strikers that led to their victory. The girls are excited to play their provincial team-mates from the south in a game that is certain to be entertaining.