(December 8, 2020, from Government of Alberta website) Due to Alberta’s high case numbers, aggressive action is required now to protect our health system from being overwhelmed. The current situation is critical. These mandatory restrictions apply provincewide and will be in place at least until January 12, 2021.
Health officials are monitoring the situation and will adjust measures if required.
Alberta declared a State of Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Social gatherings are the top source of transmission. Effective Dec. 8, all indoor and outdoor social gatherings are prohibited. This will be enforced with $1,000 fines.
Business and service restrictions
Mandatory restriction – Provincewide – Effective Dec. 13 (Nov. 27 restrictions remain in effect until Dec. 13)
Group physical activities, including team sports, fitness classes and training sessions, are prohibited or restricted across Alberta.
- Outdoor group physical activity, including team sports, must be limited to 10 people or fewer.
- members of different households must maintain 2 metre distancing at all times
- Indoor group physical activities are prohibited unless
- the group only involves members of the same household.
- the activity involves students at a school or post-secondary institution as part of an education program
- the activity involves students at a post-secondary institution
- One-to-one indoor training, such as training with a fitness trainer or coach, is not permitted.
For additional information regarding these new measures, visit the Government of Alberta website.